- Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA3 3 Permanent address.
- 1 Supported in part by the US Department of Energy under Grant No. DE-FG03-92-ER40701.
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Bombay 400005, India3
- 5 Supported in part by National Science Foundation under grant No. PHY89-04035.
Target space duality (T duality), which interchanges Kaluza-Klein and winding-mode excitations of the compactified heterotic string, is realized as a symmetry of a world-sheet action. Axion-dilaton duality (S duality), a conjectured nonperturbative SL(2,Z) symmetry of the same theory, plays an analogous role for five-branes. We describe a soliton spectrum possessing both duality symmetries and argue that the theory has an infinite number of dual string descriptions.
- 1 - natural sciences ; 2 - physics & astronomy ; 3 - nuclear & particles physics
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines ; 2 - sciences exactes et technologie ; 3 - physique ; 4 - physique des particules elementaires et champs
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Physics and Astronomy ; 3 - Nuclear and High Energy Physics