A survey for photometric variability in a wide variety of astronomical objects would produce much new information about their interiors and dynamics. This paper discusses reasons for such a survey, showing the example of the recent precise SMM observations of total solar irradiance variations as a guide to what might be expected from main-sequence stars, and proposes a concept for a satellite dedicated to a survey of photometric variability.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines ; 2 - sciences exactes et technologie ; 3 - terre, ocean, espace ; 4 - geophysique externe
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Earth and Planetary Sciences ; 3 - Space and Planetary Science
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Engineering ; 3 - Aerospace Engineering
- 1 - science ; 2 - meteorology & atmospheric sciences
- 1 - science ; 2 - geosciences, multidisciplinary
- 1 - science ; 2 - astronomy & astrophysics