The variations in the daily values of the flux of solar radio noise at ? 10.7 cm (?) and the E-layer character figure (Je) have been studied for the period of the IGY. It is found that ? lags behind Je by about 14 hr. The ratio Je? fluctuates above and below its normal value and the reasons for these changes have been examined. Troughs in Je? are attributed partly to increases in geomagnetic activity which cause a decrease in Je, and partly to the presence of active regions on the sun's disk which tend to emit relatively more radio noise than the quiet sun. Peaks in Je? are associated with the absence of these active areas.
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines ; 2 - sciences biologiques et medicales ; 3 - sciences biologiques fondamentales et appliquees. psychologie ; 4 - ecologie animale, vegetale et microbienne
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Earth and Planetary Sciences ; 3 - General Earth and Planetary Sciences
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Earth and Planetary Sciences ; 3 - Atmospheric Science
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Earth and Planetary Sciences ; 3 - Geophysics
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Engineering ; 3 - General Engineering
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Environmental Science ; 3 - General Environmental Science