- Department of Physics, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyo., U.S.A
- ESSA Research Laboratories, Boulder, Colo., U.S.A
Many observations of geomagnetic cutoff phenomena and their implications with respect to the dynamics of charged particles in the geomagnetic field are discussed. Störmer's analytic treatment of the motion of charged particles in a dipole field is briefly reviewed, as are the approximate treatments of charged particle motions, first developed by Alfvén, which were to find successful application to the more complex fields now known to exist in the magnetosphere. In conclusion, the present understanding of geomagnetic cutoffs, together with some remaining areas of uncertainty are examined.
- 1 - natural sciences ; 2 - physics & astronomy ; 3 - astronomy & astrophysics
- 1 - sciences appliquees, technologies et medecines ; 2 - sciences exactes et technologie ; 3 - terre, ocean, espace ; 4 - geophysique externe
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Earth and Planetary Sciences ; 3 - Space and Planetary Science
- 1 - Physical Sciences ; 2 - Physics and Astronomy ; 3 - Astronomy and Astrophysics